Wedding Slideshow

Monday, February 15, 2010

What Does A Wedding Photographer Do To Prepare For A Wedding?

Answer: Honestly, we all do it differently, but I'll share what I do and what I think works.

Years ago I had the opportunity to work with and study a local Austin photographer who was well established and successful in the wedding photography business. One of the things that sticks in my mind that he told me was this directive: an hour or two prior to your event go out and buy a greasy hamburger meal from your local burger chain, eat it and wash it all down with a big, sugary, caffeinated cola. The logic: we work better when our stomachs are full and caffeine is running through our veins.

While I don't follow this suggestion (for heath reasons), I've developed my own routine that I think meets the guidelines set forth by my wiser and more experienced teacher. Here's how my schedule starts out, right up until I drive to the wedding:

Days Prior to Wedding - Send final invoice, confirm wedding day photo schedule, answer any last minute questions from bride/groom/family, visit wedding location if necessary.
Day Before Wedding - Gas up car, start charging batteries, clear memory cards, print wedding photo schedule, review special requests of bride/groom, send reminder emails to necessary participants/assistants/2nd shooters.
Morning of Wedding - Charge batteries, pack all equipment, pack extra clothing, food & water. Eat a meal, brew some fresh green tea for the drive to the wedding, shave, shower, etc.

I have a wedding checklist posted next to my office door which I double check before I depart for the wedding. My friends have made fun of me for this, but I'd feel much more embarrassed if I forgot something vital for the wedding.

My favorite part of all the getting ready on wedding day is enjoying my warm cup of green tea on the way to the wedding while listening to my favorite CD. I find it helpful to listen to calming music beforehand as well. The odd thing that people expect from a wedding photographer is calm (and I should mention control) - 2 things that when balanced work great together. Your wedding photo subjects at a wedding expect you to be the "eye of the storm", so to speak - calm, in control and working smoothly toward your goal: getting great photos quickly and in an organized fashion. My experience has been that when people know you are doing a great job they feel more at ease and calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment