Wedding Slideshow

Friday, April 23, 2010

We Have Baby Finches! (I think...)

Well, I'm no birder, but I think I've correctly identified the birds that have made our back porch home as House Finches. There is an adult male and female, and 4 baby birds that are growing up super fast. It seems like just a few weeks ago that a nest was being built and now the babies seem almost as big as mom and dad. If I'm correct, the male has the red coloring on it's chest and head and the female has light browns/tans. They are both beautiful birds and I feel like I'm interrupting them when I go out on our back porch now.
What really gets attention is when the babies go from being extremely quiet and still to loud screeching when mom and dad come around with food for them. Even though the nest is nestled high up on the interior of our back porch outside of our home (near Austin, Texas) we can still hear the little birds chirping and squealing for food. It's really exciting seeing the new life that spring brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment