Wedding Slideshow

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Weddings From Our Past: 1800s and 1900s



I'm currently doing a lot of research to support an article I'm writing about how to find a wedding gown. In the meantime, I wanted to share some photos that I found recently only to allow others to see what weddings looked like 100 or more years ago. Note the space between each couple (how separated they all are compared to today's couples). If you want to see more just search for "1800s wedding photos" on Flickr.





















1 comment:

  1. Hi, Martin - Thanks for sharing these pictures. I've heard many Victorian brides didn't wear white, for two possible reasons. One was the bride wore her best dress, not one purchased for a one-time event (too wasteful)- and her best dress was not white. The other reason I've read was that Victorian brides wore black to show loyalty to Queen Victoria, who only wore black following the death of her husband, Albert. The white veil was the only tradition that always included the wearing of white.

    ReplyDelete